Thursday, September 06, 2007

Pyoderma

A few days ago, all of a sudden, we noticed that Ruki's fur looked... Bumpy. It looked like maybe she slept on it wrong. So when I reached down to smooth out her fur, I felt bumps. And I freaked. I dug around under the fur, but couldn't really see anything. I eventually found very small, pinkish bumps--all in all maybe 20 of them, each maybe 1/2 a centimeter in diameter, about an inch or so apart from each other.

I figured that maybe it's just an allergy, and so decided not to worry about it. But then we couldn't sleep because we *were* worried about it. We wondered: What might she be allergic to? We fed her some table scraps recently... Was it the soy in the soy sauce? I just Swiftered... Was it that? Were they fleas? We've been having centipede problems... Was she being bitten by centipedes?

After a day or so, I then noticed that some of the bumps were turning into scabs. I never saw her scratch them--they don't seem itchy--and she doesn't seem to mind when we root around, looking for them. So it doesn't look like she's bothered by these bumps under her fur, nor the scabs.

So we took her to the vet, Fresh Pond Animal Hospital. The vet said they weren't fleas or bug bites, and probably not allergies. Just "pyoderma"--a generic term for bacterial skin infections. Might be allergy-related, but who knows? He said it might be seasonal, too. And that we should watch out next fall and see if it re-occurs.

So then he charged us an arm and a leg for some antibiotic pills, some oatmeal-based shampoo, and some non-smelly fish oil to help with her "dry fur." Thieves praying on the ignorant, I tell you. But what can we do? We're at the mercy of their expertise.

Now, it appears that all's well. She's fine--she always has been. It's more that we were worried that she was dying. Hopefully it will all go away soon.

No comments: