Thursday, January 25, 2007

No-Word Walking

Every once in awhile, I walk Monster Face without saying anything. I control her with my movements and sharp tugs of the leash. I kind of came to this after reading somewhere how dogs may care less about *what* you say, than *how* you say it, or more importantly *what you do* after you say it.

They read your motions, the way you are standing; they read gestures made by your face.

But for me, trying to walk a "stubborn" bulldog, it's more about me than my puppy. When I use words, I express to her, me, and the world what I want, and then when she doesn't comply, there's only frustration. And then I use more words and get more anxious and then I get more frustration, which ultimately leads to anger.

In teaching, it's many times helpful to start a class with a short written assignment. This quiet, reflective period brings down the "tone" and the energy of the class, and gets the students ready to learn and the teacher ready to teach. The thing is, people get excited when they talk, it takes effort, their breathing rate increases, etc. And so sometimes the best thing to do to calm oneself (and others) down is not say anything.

So if you find yourself frustrated with trying to walk a "stubborn" dog try this. I think it's more people than dogs who get angry or "stubborn," and we have to learn to control ourselves sometimes more than the other way around.

No comments: