Friday, April 27, 2007

Switching to Adult Food

So Ruki's 9-months... And we just started switching her to adult food! Apparently, you're supposed to start switching bulldog puppies to adult food between 6 and 8 months. I think she's fine.

We used to use Innova Puppy Dry, and so naturally we are trying a switch to Innova Adult Dry. But I'm worried about two things: the adult formula has less fiber than the puppy formula, and I'm wondering whether to put her on a large breed diet to get glucosamine and chondroitin for her joints (Innova Adult Dry has none).

I want her to have some fiber because I'm worried about the anal glands. We toss her a shredded wheat cereal biscuit every once in awhile, but I'd rather have the fiber in her food, so it's consistently there.

Some people recommend feeding bulldogs large breed formulas because they're "large breeds packed into a medium breed body." Also, they tend to have joint and hip problems, and the large breed formulas are made to reduce mass and be gentler on the joints--hence the glucosamine and chondroitin.

Furthermore, I'm starting to reconsider Innova. The one store in my area that stocks it doesn't consistently have the food we need in stock. I went there, juggling between Adult Dry, Large Breed Adult Dry, and one of the EVO brands, but they only had Adult Dry and EVO Senior. Screw them, then. Maybe I'll switch to a different store that will stock more Wellness, Royal Canidae Bulldog, etc. Maybe Wyosong (to add to their rivalry)?

The other thing, then, is to supplement Ruki with glucosamine and chondroitin and fiber treats. I'll keep the blog updated on our decisions.

No comments: