Monday, November 27, 2006

Good Raw Foods for Treats

So for treats--instead of treats we buy at stores--we've been using slices of baby carrots. Ruki loves 'em. And we see them in her poo a day or so later. I don't know if there's any nutritional value to them, but at least there's no fat, and some fiber content for her.

I recently tried chunks of celery. Ruki doesn't love 'em as much as the carrots, but she'll still do tricks for them.

I gave her a blueberry, too, and she almost died--in a good way. I think she thought she was in berry heaven. Apparently, though, we have to watch out for citrus fruits because they might be bad for her stomach.

Here's a quote I found on a web site:

http://experts.about.com/q/Dogs-701/ok-pup-3.htm

"Besides apples, most dogs also like banana slices, blue berries, carrot slices or baby carrots, peas, broccoli, green beans and cauliflower. My dogs LOVE Clementine wedges, but then who doesn't?

A couple of things to watch out for: DON'T give a dog onions, mushrooms or grapes, they can make your dog sick."

I've also started adding a fish oil pill to her breakfasts.

No comments: