Thursday, November 30, 2006

Don't Stop Walking and You're Embarassing Me Methods of Walking

Ruki's been getting stubborn about walking again. I use two methods--one I just discovered today--to keep her by my side and trucking along. The first involves the Don't Stop Walking method--just keep on going and pull her along with you when she pauses. The second is the You're Embarassing Me method: I think sometimes she doesn't like being so close to me, but rather behind me, like an embarassed teenager. So I hold the leash behind my back, and she's a few steps behind me, walking at her own pace, happy as can be.

I wrote to our puppy-sitter about walking Ruki with the DSW method:

She *is* big and stubborn these days. Or, rather, she's tired, cranky,
and scared. I "treat" her out of the courtyard and off of the block--I
go through about 4-5 treats just egging her on and treating her for
walking a few meters. But once she gets going, she's OK. If she starts
to slow down or pull back, just keep on walking. Pulling her is OK;
just don't try and jerk her.

I put the leash around my right wrist, and hold the leash parallel to
my waist/belt, and hold the slack with my left hand--Ruki stays on my
left all the time. When she slows down or pulls to the side of
backwards, when my left leg goes forward--I don't stop--it pulls the
leash and her along. But it's one consistent motion, so it's not
jerking at her throat. She pulls for about a second, but then she
comes along, and then I give her a treat.

Then we battle it out that way about 5 more times, and then she's
fine--a couple more hitches along the way, but most of the time it's a
breeze. Every once in awhile I'll let her stop and sniff around. And
when she's trucking along I'll push a treat in her mouth--don't let
her bite! If she snatches at the treat, pull it away, and don't let
her have it until she's gentle!--just to keep her going.

No comments: