Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Why Doesn't My Puppy Love Me?

...That's the way I've been feeling lately. She loves everyone so much more--goes crazy--for anyone but me. I'm old news. She doesn't listen to me. She gives me the stink-eye instead of kisses. She shrugs away from my hugs.

We're working on a mixture of "demotion" and armed warfare. The armed warfare means more treats and lures for getting her off of our block. The "demotion" is less ground-level eye contact, more strictness in the house.

I'll let you know how it all works out.

But one thing that helped: Yesterday, I took her to a nearby park with a big field. I let her off the leash (which is OK for Ruki since she really can't run that fast or far). And then I jogged away. She could not *not* stay far from me. As soon as I started moving away, she started trucking along. The faster I went the faster she came. And when I stopped she's gallop up and stop near me.

So maybe she doesn't "love" me, but she definitely *needs* me. And I'll take that for now.

Also, check out my previous post on my moment of zen.

No comments: