Thursday, February 22, 2007

Dog Mouth Warts



Update: Added gross pictures of Ruki's warts. 

So Ruki developed some warts on her lips a few days ago. I found the one on the inside of her lip first. It looked like a weird, white mushroom--not the bumpy, sea anenome type that you expect. I thought that maybe it was a cyst or something weird, like a tumor. I worried a bit, thinking it would just go away.

Then, almost directly through the skin, on the outside of her lip, she got the typical wart: pink and bumpy. I bet if you stuck a pin through the outside wart it would go right into the inside wart, like they're the same thing.

I then found some pictures to confirm that the weird-looking inside-the-lip white, mushroomy thing might also just be another kind of wart:

http://thnlnk.com/crvetcenter/Oral.papillomas.warts.in.a.dog/670

So, OK, a wart. It should just go away over time. Apparently, they're also pretty typical in older puppies. I might try the recommendation on the above page ("Viroplex contains lysine, an amino acid; copper, zinc, calcium citrate, vitamins A, C, B1, B2, niacin, and periwinkle, mustard, and broccoli. The latter 3 ingredients contain natural anti-neoplastic (tumor inhibiting) compounds.") to see if that'll help things improve more quickly.

Part of me hopes that when she's playing with other dogs, maybe one of the dogs will bite them off. Maybe!

1 comment:

jimeye said...

My puppy has the same thing - did it ever go away?