Friday, February 09, 2007

Update on Booda Velvet Chew Bones

So I've really enjoyed--and Ruki enjoys, too--the Booda Velvet chew bones. They last longer than any other edible chew--except for the Nylabone she's chewing on now (original flavor seems to be the kind she likes).

But a few days ago, kind of out of the blue, she started sounding like she was choking on something. She's had a cold for the past week or so, so I though, oh, she's just still sick. But then it got bad--her hacking and her looking miserable--and I started freaking out, reading up on a dog Heimlich maneuver. (Apparently, you can give them the Heimlich.)

But she seemed to work it out in a few minutes, and then she was OK.

The next morning, she puked up some yellow foamy stuff and then a chunk about half the size of my thumb. So that was it.

At first, I had no idea what it was--it looked like cubed chicken. I wracked my brain to figure out what it could be... No idea. So I let it dry out overnight to see if I could recognize it later.

I'm 95% sure it was from the Booda Velvet. She just managed to bite off a big chunk and then swallow it whole. So watch your puppy as they chew on these. You can usually tell if she's chewing or biting, and if you hear that biting take a look to see what they got. And hopefully you won't have to do any dog Heimlich in the future.

No comments: