Friday, October 20, 2006

Bulldog Cherry Eye

Though the bulk of this blog in the beginning will be retrospective, the latest news is that Ruki has cherry eye!

Cherry Eye is Not as Scary as It Looks!

I called the vet this morning, and the office manager seemed to say that it's not that bad a thing, either. I asked if it was something that we had to worry immediately about, and she said, no. Most people freak out about it because it looks weird, not because the dog is in danger.

The vet doesn't treat cherry eye, but can give us a referral to someone who may or may not do surgery. In the meantime, the doctor will probably give us some antibiotics, probably eye-drops.

For now, we're just clearing any mucous build-up when we see it. (It was green this morning! But now it just gets sticky and white.)

I tried a warm compress--by wetting a paper towel and putting it in the microwave for 8 seconds. Ruki doesn't like it, but at one point I inadvertently pushed the swollen tissue back in! It was pretty amazing; I put the compress on, and all of a sudden the cherry eye was gone! But then when I put the compress on again, it popped back out. I'm not trying it again.

No comments: