Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Bulldog Won't Walk - Just Sits There

Ruki, at 13 weeks, can definitely get cranky about walking. When I bring her outside of the courtyard of our apartment, she goes right for the shrubs or, worse, will just sit and not budge. Here's a mixture of techniques that seem to work in getting her to get going:

1. Keep on walking. Once I get her going, I keep up the momentum and don't stop. If she turns or stop I keep on going. I also don't make eye contact, don't look at her, give her the silent treatment. After a few stops, she picks up and just follows.

2. Keep on walking. If she stops, I walk back to her, circle around her--she'll usually turn with me--and then turn back in the same direction I was originally heading. If she doesn't get up after a turn or two, I'l start shuffling into her, and then turn and go.

3. If she sits, I put a hand under her belly and ask her to "stand." This gets her up, then I have to figure out how to keep her moving.

4. If all else fails, I hoist her up and take her about a block away. (We live in the city.) I think being too close to home is too distracting to her. But when I get her far enough away from home, she trucks along just fine--presumably just so she can make it back home. :)

No comments: