Thursday, October 26, 2006

Walking the Stubborn Walker

I've started adjusting my techniques in getting Ruki to "walk well" with me.

First off, I have to understand that she's just a puppy--and on top of that a bulldog. She can't walk that far. So when I go around the block, I should expect that every quarter block she's going to stop and stand--to rest--or stop and sniff around a bit. It's not her being stubborn, it's her being a bulldog puppy.

So it all takes some time to go for the walk.

If she pulls, I only resist--I don't pull back. And once I feel that she's no longer pulling but just standing with the tension of the leash, I let go and give her slack. When she wanders off to the side, and I think it's not a good time, I keep the leash tension tight; and then slack when she's no longer pulling. At that point, she's usually at attention, listening or sniffing; I give her a few seconds--I even count up to 5--and then pulse or call her to "come" and she'll trot right along.

I'm also working on training her to walk either beside me or slightly behind me. I don't want her to walk me. If she gets ahead of me the leash is taut; whenever she's being good by being beside me or slightly behind me I keep the leash slack and upright--right above her head so there's not pulling at all.

No comments: